Thursday, August 1, 2013

Gratitude (October 2010)

From October 12, 2010

I live for the bright spots.  These are the things that happen during the day that brighten an otherwise gloomy day.  Almost always, they are the direct result of the actions of others. 

I have a deep gratitude for those who go out of their way to make life a little easier for others.  I have always believed that the heart of the human soul is genuinely good, but we seldom get to see it in action.  It seems to be a natural character trait for some people -- they have a unique perspective on humanity and carry a positive outlook on life that radiates from within.  

I have been lucky enough to be the recipient of such generosity, particularly these past few and very difficult months.  I have been given many bright spots: a smile, kind words, a hug, a box of food, or even the benefit of the doubt where doubt weighed heaviest.  When I have been down in spirit, these bright spots are all I have been able to hold on to -- and they are what get me through the toughest days.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  Among the bad, we must see the good, or we will lose our perspective and go down with the defeated. It is integral to human nature to want to do good and to see the good in others.

I am grateful for those who have given me bright spots in my life -- those who make the day worth the effort:  my kids, my friends, my family -- you are in my heart forever.

Now for the funny moments of the day:  This morning my kids came running in to my room telling me my dad was here and that we had a doorbell!  We saw the doorbell box inside the house but couldn't find a doorbell outside the front door, so this was indeed good news for us.  We have a doorbell!!!  But it wasn't such good news when I answered the door in my raggedy tank top and sweats, my hair piled on top of my head, no makeup, and greeting the homeowner for the very first time.  He kept eyeing me while we talked, tilting his head as he looked me over from head to toe -- probably wondering what kind of person in their right mind would ever answer the door like that.  So much for first impressions!




This photo shows my four Nutcracker Ballet girls in 2008.  Rebekah, Ellie, Anna, and Marie  This year will be the first year in many years that my girls have not participated in some kind of Christmas dance recital or performance.  Holiday rehearsals and chaos have become a tradition which culminates in a beautiful performance, and marks the "okay, now we can really celebrate the holiday" atmosphere when its all over.  Most people will never understand until they've lived the life of a Dance Mom.  My kids have grown up on stage.  Ellie was 2 days old at her first Nutcracker.  It is all she has ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment