Thursday, July 18, 2013

Honesty and Wisdom (August 2010)

From August 22, 2010
Inscribed on the mantel of the State Dining Room fireplace under a stately portrait of Abraham Lincoln in the White House, is a prayer which John Adams wrote to his wife, Abigail:
 "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house, and on all that shall hereafter inhabit it.  May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."

Soon I will have new home in which to rule -- in a town all of my children but one have never lived.  I hope that as I rule my new home I will be especially careful that I do it with honesty and wisdom.  It may sound easy, but it is often difficult—in fact, it is usually easier not to do the wise thing.  My hope for each of my children is that they stick to what they know is right, even when it goes against the seemingly popular vote.   History will remember you for your cause.
May peace and safety rest within these walls as we settle into a new home in a new town.

No comments:

Post a Comment