Saturday, July 13, 2013

Its All in the Details (July 2010)


From July 31, 2010


With the annual Sweet Pea Festival just one week away, I have been working almost day and night to get the costumes done for the parade.  There are only four of them but two of them consist of three or four pieces and each piece is quite complex with materials I don't normally work with.  Of those costume pieces, the Petticoat has been the most troublesome, requiring multiple sizing and alterations, and each time a new problem seems to crop up.

The theme for the parade this year is "Swinging on a Star" and my girls and I have taken the liberty of putting a space theme into the costumes.  We took the 1950's girly, swing car-hop look (but without the roller-skates-- don't want any skinned knees) and changed it up to represent something from the 1950s "atomic" era: back in the day of sea-foam green paint and bomb shelters.  Marie and I will both have the same costume but different colors.  Because we are modifying an existing car-hop pattern and complicating it further with metallic fabrics and sequins, it is probably the biggest sewing challenge I've encountered yet!


Without giving it away, this photo shows some of the details we are testing for one of the costumes. 

If I can ever get these costumes finished, it will be fun to see how it all turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment