Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Short End of the Stick (September 2010)

From September 27, 2010

My heart aches for my beautiful daughter who seems to continue getting the short end of the stick.  This upcoming move to Whidbey Island seems to be forcing her to give up the most: first her 125 gallon fish tank complete with rainbow fish and her pleco and a 12-inch goldfish named Grazzini; and now her cockatiel named Pikachu, complete with very fancy (and very large) parrot cage, and her beloved little red frizzle cochin chicken, Lucy.

I love all of my children dearly, but of all the children, Marie is the only one who I have never had to seriously discipline.  She has always been the peacemaker (in public school she won an award for this!) and the one who has always volunteered to help out and do what needs to be done, even when it is not fun or convenient for her.

It breaks my heart that with all the work she has been doing in getting her sisters to sort and pack and help me as well, she has to give up so much.  Sometimes this all seems so unfair.  I have told her that she does not have to leave if she does not want to -- I don't want any of my kids to feel like they are being forced to move.  But Marie is an adult now, and free to choose her own path.  And she chooses to go to Whidbey Island.

I know that whatever she chooses with her future will be the right path for her.  She is beautiful, strong, smart, and she is courageous.  She is talented in so many ways she will no doubt be successful in whatever she does.


My beautiful Marie, Deception Pass

I hope she knows how much love I have for her and how much I want her to be happy.   I hope she knows that I will do whatever I can to help her achieve her goals and dreams and that I will always be there for her, just as she has been for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment