Sunday, July 7, 2013

Overcoming Adversity (November 2009)

From Nov. 26, 2009


Being afflicted with illnesses of unknown origin is often more frightening than the illness itself. It is the 'not knowing' part that scares us. Left with no answers, our minds begin to wander, imagining numerous causes, diagnoses and prognoses. Searching the internet only serves to intensify our fears.


So what am I to do?
Because very few of us have the luxury to be complacent and let time pass while we wait for answers, we move on with our daily responsibilities. We can let illness weigh us down, or we can function to the best of our ability without weighing down those who love us with worry.

What else can we do? We sit and wait for the next symptoms to appear, or the results from the last medical tests performed, or the next visit with the doctor. The more we dwell on it, the more we become its victim.


What am I to learn from this experience?
I am to learn gratitude. I am to learn to be grateful for my health and to take care of my body. I have become all too aware of my own mortality. I learn to be grateful for my family and the many blessings that I have.

I am to learn faith. With God's will, illness will not be a part of my life every day. For whatever reason, whether it be a warning to slow down, or to create awareness, I must have faith that things will get better.

I am to learn patience. Developing patience, we learn humility. Having been ill with various issues for a month now, I am humble, and learning to be patient.


What am I to change?
How I treat my family-- they deserve the best of me. We never know how much time anyone will have on this earth. It would do us all well to treat each other with the best of ourselves.

How I organize my house. Should something happen to me, it would be difficult for anybody to pick up the pieces with a disorganized home and so much clutter. Be it known, I do not like clutter, and am fighting it constantly. This is something I must definitely work on!


Whom am I to help?
I can help my family, by being strong in the face of adversity. I can help others by letting them know they are not alone. When illness strikes, they can get through it with love and support from others, and from the knowledge of a God who also loves us dearly, and will comfort us when in need.

I can help others who may be looking for their own answers to unexplained illnesses of their own.  Perhaps through research and perseverance, we can find answers together (I started a blog based on my experiences and research here).


How can I remember my blessings in times of trial?
I must find some peace and happiness every day. I must continue to look for the bright spots in life: a smile, a touch, a few minutes alone with a family member. These mean more to me than anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment