Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sky-Watcher (August 2010)

From August 4, 2010
I'm a sky-watcher.  Maybe it goes back to the wind obsession, but I've always loved watching the sky-- no matter the time of day or the season.
One of the things I love about Montana skies are that they are so colorful and varied.  No matter which direction you look, the sky is different -- the clouds, the color, the intensity.
When we lived on our 20-acre farm, I would often go outside to take care of the horses and see sun rays extending across the entire sky from one horizon to the opposite horizon.  This often occurred at both sunrise and sunset and never ceased to fascinate me.
In that house there were expansive views outside every window.  I could pass a window and see acres and acres of beautiful pastures, trees, and most importantly -- always the sky.  I could see the weather coming -- forming ominous swirling clouds, sheets of lightning across the sky, or spectacular sunrises over the Bridger Mountains, and serene sunsets over the Tobacco Root Mountains in the distant west.  I could often see full sets of double and triple rainbows from end to end.

Living in the middle of town, I miss the sky.  I can no longer see the clouds from horizon to horizon and this makes me feel somehow cut off from nature.  I need to see the sky, see the clouds, and feel that connection with my world. 


I miss being able to go outside at any time of the day and just breathe in the atmosphere around me whether it be feeling the sun on my face, or standing in the cool night air gazing at the stars.
I'm still a sky-watcher and often find myself looking upward at the horizons instead of the road while I'm driving.  I love to see the rain curtains in the distance or the white translucent snow curtains in the winter. I love to see the shape, size, and color of the clouds...
I love the constant movement of the weather around me, no matter how subtle.  I miss that connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment