Thursday, July 18, 2013

Love is Out there (August 2010)

From August 25, 2010

After 27 years, my marriage is ending.  
I will always wish and hope for the best for my husband because he is still the father of my beautiful children.  Fortunately they were shielded from the worst of Ed's emotional outbursts, but they were never totally immune from the aftereffects or the lack of affection between their parents.  It will take some time to figure out and I hope that they will understand that true love really can be found out there and that it can be theirs to have and enjoy.  Having learned the hard way from their mother, it is my dream that they will be guaranteed success.
We don't always know how things are going to turn out.  In this photo, I am saying goodbye to my best friend, Kim, at her wedding in Oak Harbor in the early 1980s.  I knew she was moving to California and that I would not likely see her very often again.  This was hard because I had seen her nearly every day for a handful of years and I wasn't so sure this was a good thing for her.  But she was still my best friend and I supported her.  Unfortunately, like the majority of marriages these days, Kim’s marriage did not last.  However, she has remarried and is very happy with her life.
I guess if I had to tell my children anything, I would tell them to choose carefully.  Make an emotional and spiritual connection before you make any kind of physical connection.  Like childhood friendships, this person has to be your best friend.  You have to have fun doing things together and feel sad when you are apart-- yet you must allow your best friend time to be himself as well.  Love is not always easy, but it is definitely possible, and the right person can definitely show up at the strangest time in the strangest places!!

No comments:

Post a Comment