Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Jupiter (August 2010)

From August 7, 2010

With my four dancing daughters in the Sweet Pea parade
Today I got the chance to do something I very rarely do: have fun while dancing in the street-- and what made it so special was that I got to do it with my four favorite youngest kids.  So many times they remind me what it feels like to have fun and not care what anyone else thinks, to laugh and have a really good time even when times are tough.  They don't know it, but they are the best friends I've ever had.

While we were following the Main Street Dance Theatre float, the music blaring from the speakers was a song I used to sing all the time.  It was my favorite for a long time because it contained so many references to the sky: "Drops of Jupiter" by Train.  I used to have it memorized.  Though I've forgotten most of the lyrics, these ones I remember:
Tell me did the wind sweep you off your feet?
Did you finally get the chance to dance along the light of day
And head back toward the milky way?

 
I think this is why I like to hike in the mountains.  How much closer to the sky can I get?  I've been able to hike some beautiful trails and see some spectacular views, always in the daytime. 

One of these days I'd like to hike at sunset and watch below as the city lights begin to brighten and the sky begins to dim.  The air will grow dramatically cooler and I'll have to put my sweater on.  Maybe I'll sit on one of the benches with a blanket and just watch the light of the stars gradually grow stronger, or watch the moon as it arches across the sky.

Sounds like fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment